Subject: Bug Lists
From: [email-masked] (Joe Dunfee)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 23:58:16 -0400

I need to correct myself reguarding AutoDesk's policy on releasing a bug
list. I have actually been out of the AutoDesk look for over a year. When
they released their buggy release 13, I decided not to upgrade, rather than
risk having to "discover" a bunch of new bugs.  My memory is vague, but I
though I heard news that AutoDesk would start to maintian a bug list at a
local AutoCAD seminar. But it has apparently turned out to be simply sales
talk, not reality. The following are excerpts from a reply by autodesk after
a few postings critical of the bug-list policy.

________________________________________________________________________
"Regarding your desire to see a published bug list.  Autodesk currently 
does not plan to release an official Autodesk Product Bug list.  The
[internet] support group does, however..." (etc.)

"We feel that the bug information contained in those locations combined 
with the information about "fixed" bugs in our README files for our
maintenance patches provides an appropriate level of disclosure for all
customers..."

Sincerely,

John Sanders
Sr. Director, Product Support   
________________________________________________________________________

   Of course autodesk's responce was not met with favor from users of
AutoCAD on the list. I am sure that no users feel that Autodesk provides an
"appropriate level of disclosure" after they loose some drawings due to a
known bug.
   Do any of you all know of an actual example where a company's release of
a bug list caused the company harm? 

Joe Dunfee,
Miami, Florida USA

--
[email-masked] (Joe Dunfee) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]